Mariah Carey expresses her sorrow over the passing of her mother and sister, both of whom passed away on the same day



 Mariah Carey expressed her profound sorrow in a statement to CNN on Monday, stating, "My heart is shattered by the loss of my mother this past weekend. Tragically, my sister also passed away on the same day." 

The circumstances surrounding the deaths of Patricia Carey and Alison Carey were not disclosed by the renowned singer. Reports indicate that Patricia Carey was 87 years old, while Alison Carey, who resided in Coxsackie, New York, was 63, as noted in a Times Union article regarding her passing.

In her statement, the artist known for "All I Want for Christmas" remarked, "I feel fortunate to have spent the last week with my mother before her passing. I am grateful for everyone’s love and support and kindly ask for privacy during this incredibly difficult time."

Patricia Carey was a Juilliard-trained opera singer and vocal coach. She was married to Mariah Carey’s father, Alfred Roy, but they separated when Mariah was three years old. Alfred Roy passed away in 2002.

In her memoir, "The Meaning of Mariah Carey," published in 2020, Mariah reflected on her "complicated" relationship with her mother, noting that "like many aspects of my life, my journey with my mother has been full of contradictions and competing realities."

Despite their occasionally tumultuous relationship, Mariah honored her mother in the book's opening dedication, stating, "And to Pat, my mother, who, through it all, I do believe actually did the best she could. I will love you the best I can, always."

Mariah Carey reportedly had a strained relationship with her sister, Alison Carey, who filed a lawsuit against her in 2021 for intentional infliction of emotional distress, citing certain content in Mariah's memoir as the basis for her claim.

In the lawsuit submitted in New York, Alison alleged that her younger sister used the book to "humiliate and embarrass" her, according to a copy of the complaint obtained by CNN.

Online court records indicate that Mariah Carey did not file a legal response to the allegations.

Mariah Carey is one of three siblings, alongside Alison Carey and Patricia Carey.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post